To our patients. This notice describes how health information about you, as a patient of this practice, may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to your health information. This is required by the Privacy Regulations created as a result of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Our commitment to your privacy
Arizona Sun Chiropractic and Rehab. Is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your health information.
We realize that these laws are complicated, but we must provide you with the following important information:
- How we may use and disclose your health information
- Your privacy rights
- Our obligations concerning the use and disclosure of your health information
The following categories described the different ways in which we may use and disclose your health information.
- Treatment. Providers and staff may use or disclose your health information in order to treat you or to assist others in your treatment.
- Payment. Our practice may use your health information to bill and collect payment for service you receive from us. We may provide your insurer with details regarding your treatment to determine if your insurer will cover, or pay for your treatment. We may also use and disclose this information to obtain payment from third parties that may be responsible for such costs. Also, we may use your health information to bill you directly for services and items.
- Health care operations. We may need to use and disclose your health information to be able to run our practice at the highest clinical standards and as effectively as possible. This could be used to evaluate the performance of our provider and staff, to determine if our treatment plans are effective, or determine if there are other services we should be offering. We may also compare our clinical data with other practices, review it with medical students, and others for teaching and learning purposes. We will remove information that identifies you from this medical information.
- Disclosures required by law. Our practice will use and disclose your health information when we are required to do so by federal, state, or local law.
- Appointment Reminders and Sign-In Sheets. We may want to call you by phone for appointment reminder purposes. Please advise us if you do not want us to call and leave appointment reminder messages at your home, possibly on an answering machine. We may also use a sign-in sheet at the front desk, for the purposes of logging our patient as they arrive. We will make all efforts to keep this information from view of others.
The following, circumstances may require us to use and disclose your health information:
- To public health authorities and health oversight agencies that are authorized by law to collect information
- Lawsuits and similar proceeding in response to a court or administrative order.
- If required to do so by a law enforcement official.
- When necessary to reduce or prevent a serious threat to your health and safety or the health and safety of another individual or the public. We will only make disclosures to a person or organization able to prevent the threat.
- If you are a member of the U.S. or foreign military forces (including veterans) and if required by the appropriate authorities.
- To federal officials for intelligence and national security activities authorized by law.
- To correctional institutions of law enforcement officials if you are an inmate or under the custody of a law enforcement official.
- For Workers Compensation and similar programs.
Your rights regarding your health information.
- You can request that Arizona Sun Chiropractic & Rehab. Communicate with you about your health and related issues in a particular manner or at a certain location. For instance, you may ask that we contact you at home, rather than work. We will accommodate reasonable requests.
- You can request a restriction in our use and disclosure of your health information for treatment, payment, or health care operations. Additionally, you have the right to request that we restrict disclosure of your health information to only certain individuals involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as family members. We are not required to agree to your request; however, if we do agree, we are bound by our agreement except when otherwise required by law, in emergencies, or when information is necessary to treat you.
- You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of the health information that may be used to make decisions about you, including patient medical records and billing records, but not including psychotherapy notes. You must submit your request in writing to Arizona Sun Chiropractic & Rehab.
- You have a right to a copy of this notice.
- You have the right to file a complaint in writing to this practice, if you feel your privacy rights have been violated.
- Right to provide an authorization for other uses and disclosures that are not identified for this notice or permitted by applicable law.
If you have any questions regarding this notice or our health information privacy policies, please advise the front desk.